Sunday, March 15, 2015

A Re-centered Morning - Part 2

I admit. The walk to school is not usually what it should and can be. But on those mornings that I was able to prevail, the walk is just beautiful.

Boruch Hashem, the weather is warming up and the sidewalks are finally passable. Rather than fighting to secure their hats while battling the Empire wind tunnel, I can try to focus on bringing my children to school.

I am doing the walk anyway; I might as well try to make it meaningful.

Here are some “activities” to enhance the actual walk to school.
ושננתם... ובלכתך בדרך

  • "I'm so glad the sky is blue today, it's so beautiful!" or even something like, "It is raining today, but I am so grateful to Hashem that we have umbrellas and rain boots." 
  • "Let's all thank the crossing guard today!" and then afterwards, "We just made a Kiddush Hashem!" 
  • A Chassidishe story – No pressure to think of a new story every day, just introduce a known story as follows, "You probably know this story already, but I know that your Neshama is always thrilled to hear Heilige things…”
  • Discuss scenarios that take place in school and how we can deal with them.
  • Discuss the Parshas, upcoming Yomim Tovim and your plans for them as a family.
  • “What are you looking forward to in school today?”
  • Say the 12 Pesukim. Stop at one to discuss it. Explain how we purify the air around us when we say words of Torah.
Do you have any ideas? Please share them. I love hearing from you!

For "A Re-centered Morning - Part 1", click here.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this Rivkie, as I have been the one taking my daughter to play group for the last year. She's just turned 2 so... can't really have any conversation. Still, I can be present to her and attentive instead of making a phone call etc. And, just communicating with her in her "language"...
    Thank you for your positive energy!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that this post was able to affect your life in real-time.

      Delete